International Photography Open Call on the topic of Industrial heritage
Submission deadline: 30 April 2020.
This year Photon Gallery – Center for Contemporary photography is once more organizing the Photonic Moments – Month of Photography festival. Running in its 9th edition it is set to open on 16 June at Cankarjev dom, with its programe of exhibitions and events running simultaneously at several cultural venues across Ljubljana. The festival is centered around presenting various formats of art photography, highlighting authors and projects from Central and East Europe. The thematic focus of the festival this year is European industrial heritage of the 20th century through the prism of photography and related media. This edition of the festival will thus question how the use of photography contributes to our understanding of past architectural and industrial ambitions, that either have or will become cultural heritage or are on the other hand overlooked. These notions are likewise contained in the two main festival exhibitions – the international group exhibition Concrete Dreams and the exhibition on the legendary couple Bernd and Hilla Becher. The festival will also feature a rich programe of presentations and discussions on the given topic.
(Architectural) photography open-call on the topic of industrial heritage as a part of the festival programe
A rough definition of the architectural photography genre is the photographing of buildings and other similar structures, which are at the same time aesthetic and also their accurate depictions.
For the purpose of this open-call, we will, on one hand, limit this definition to architectural and material industrial architectural that is a product of industrialization from the late 18th century to the end of the 20th century. On the other hand, we will expand it, as we want to include works that refer to industrial heritage through the prism of history, memory, tradition or personal tales, or through the current state of our society, particularly regarding ecology. Because the process of industrialization largely belongs to cities and urbanism, we also welcome projects that deal with the transformation of cities, parts of cities, buildings or social groups, related to the industrial rise and fall. We are thus dividing this definition into 4 open-call categories:
- Industrial heritage as architecture (photographs of buildings, their exteriors or interiors, architectural details of buildings etc.).
- Material industrial heritage (mechanization, machinery, industrial equipment, means of transport etc.).
- Industrial heritage as environmental and ecological heritage (effected environments, still functionating polluters of the industrial era etc.).
- Photography narratives that are connected to industrial heritage in more general ways (photographs of working-class neighborhoods, of former factory workers, unemployed workers etc.).
An international jury will select works by 5 best open-call applicants, which will be exhibited in a group exhibition as a part of the festival programe running between 16 June and 18 July 2020 in Ljubljana. Each applicant will be awarded 200€ for the production expenses for their work. The exhibition will be accompanied by a small catalogue and will then travel from Ljubljana to Photon Gallery in Vienna.
We accept works that are either formalistic and technical, as well as in a wide range of artistic approaches to photography. The call is open to artists up to 35 years of age (including those born in 1985).
The application should include
- The author’s portfolio of maximum two completed projects or projects in the process, each can include maximum 10 photographs, in the resolution of at least 1,800 pixels on the long side in PDF or JPG format.
- The description of the projects and the concepts (in English) up to 1,500 characters and defining which open-call categories apply to your project (listed above).
- A short biography of the applicant.
- Additional technical specifications: format and dimensions of the works, optimal way of presentation in an exhibition format.
Submission of the application
The complete application should be packed in one zip file and entitled in the following format:
Please send the zip file together using the application form at http://bit.ly/IH_2020
If you encounter any issues with submitting your application please contact us at email@example.com
The applications should be submitted by 30 April 2020.
The candidates will be informed of the results of the call by 30 May 2020.
For additional information contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and phone number +386 59 977907 (Monday to Friday from 12 to 6 pm); contact person: Virginia Vrecl.